Bookshop with book exchange.

Recommend interesting place and the special you would like to share to others
Danny.martins

Bookshop with book exchange.

ข้อมูลby Danny.martins » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:38 am

I have stayed at this place before, Canterbury Tales Cafe and Bookshop, I am here again now and each time I am here the bookstock is better and better and what's made it even betterer is that now they are cheaper, Dave the owner has been snooping around he told me and all his Pattaya competitors prices for used books is 160/180 baht so his average price is 120 baht.

As an avid reader I go through a book about every 3/4 days and I brought 35 books with me from UK and traded them in as that's a big part  of the appeal of the place the trade in, Dave gave me 50/60 baht per book in credit so I ended up with 2000 baht credit to buy some more books and most of mine only cost me pennies at the local bootfare.

There are 1000's of used fiction books, I managed to get the new Live Fire by Stephen Leather at 140 baht, also a couple of the Sharps series by Bernard Cornwall I had not read, I have bought the George best Autobiography for 140 baht in new condition which will be a gift for my Son back home.
There is some great true crime stuff too I must look at, the reason I am going into detail is Dave has really helped me with my Visa situation, plenty of advice and some of the guys that are there everyday are a great laugh, the rooms are well equipped with free wifi, dvd player and a massive collection of free dvd's, there is an inroom safe so all in all a great place to stay.

Lastly the food is cheap and well done, all day English breakfasts everyday is as much as I need until the evening and they close at 8pm in the restaurant which is the only downside to it.
I am not sure if I am allowed to mention websites so I will not only to say you can google it and find it that wayand the website is very well done too and can book rooms via that and ask Dave anything

klapcaslaka

Re: Bookshop with book exchange.

ข้อมูลby klapcaslaka » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:37 pm

WHy do YOu mAKE peOplE RegIsTEr to Your STUPID FORUM WEBSITE jUsT tO dOwnLOad files???

That is just STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPIIDD!!!

KathleenO

ข้อมูลby KathleenO » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Sounds like a pretty cool place.  I will check out the next time I am in Pattaya!  Although I have been thinking of getting the Kindle or one of those e-readers so I don't have to lug a stack of books around with me...

mandywilliams

ข้อมูลby mandywilliams » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:08 am

That's great!  i will check that place next time i travelled  in thailand for vacation
user not active

Danny.martins

ข้อมูลby Danny.martins » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:05 pm

I am back at Canterbury Tales cafe and have to say there are so many upgrades, the budget accommodation is even better as they have made rooms bigger by knocking 2 standard rooms into one so now have a lounge as well as a bedroom, the rooms are clean and everything works.
The food is great with the English breakfast and a bright idea to serve it all day with my varied sleep pattern, the fish and chips, Schnitzel sandwich and the Thai food are excellent and the regular guys some of which are ex-pats and some seem to spend months here are very knowledgeable and you can find out everything as well as have a laugh and find a few drinking partners.
For me the bookshop has improved the most with so so many books and so little time, I have been through the Vince Flynn I needed, the Lee Child, Demille, Cornwall, etc but my passion is the Non Fiction and they have so many True crime, war, Sports Bio's I even found Kinski Uncut, Klaus Kinski autobiography which I have searched for and is $79 on ebay.
There are all the Thai stories, I have bought Private Dancer signed by Stephen Leather, money number one used for 160 baht which is 450 baht in Asia books, brand new Damage Done by Warren fellows which I have never read, altogether a great selection and you receive 50% trade in on all the books so wow a great place.
Attachments
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0872.JPG
P6220ass005a copy.jpg

Return to “Recommend interesting place”